Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Good (Married) Life

Awhile back, one of my sisters had a Facebook status that said something along the lines of, "With so many men out there to date, why would a person want to settle down with just one?" My first thought was, "Lunatic. Who wants to deal with dating? It was a pain in the ass!" I still think that, but I had another thought yesterday that made me realize what it is about marriage that I think is so great. There are the obvious reasons: Being with the person you love for the rest of your life, having support (both emotional and financial), raising a family, etc. I believe all of those things, but there's something else.

There's a house that my husband and I pass everyday when I'm taking him to the park and ride. In their very long driveway is a tractor-trailer with the word "Hoss" attached in huge letters to the front. Whether it's the name of the truck or its driver, we're not sure. Either way, we've taken to following the story of Hoss. We imagine that's the driver's nickname, and when he's gone for long stretches at a time, we're sad for his wife and family. When he returns we're giddy with happiness, "Hoss is back!" Obviously we don't know these people, and have no idea what the story/situation is. However, it's become our "thing," something we talk about and find amusing and entertaining. Other people wouldn't get it.

And that's why marriage is so great. Having someone who knows all of your inside jokes, can understand why something's funny or sad or confusing just by hearing a word or seeing a particular facial expression. This person's got your back, and that's a nice feeling. I hope Hoss and his Mrs. Hoss feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment