Monday, March 1, 2010

This Isn't Acting 101. Cut the Drama!

I've belonged to lots of mom/playgroups since having my first child. In every single one, there were constant eruptions of drama amongst the moms ("mama drama," as many of you call it). I'm tired of it. Why can't grown women get beyond the ridiculous junior high mentality that everyone's out to get them/leave them out/hurt their feelings and make their lives miserable? Additionally, why do you stay in a group where you hate the people running it and think that you're being treated unfairly?

I ask these questions as one of the organizer's of a wonderful group my kids and I participate in (where we've had very little drama until now). I'm one of three women who work our asses off to make the group fun, interesting, warm and welcoming. Yet, we have some members who think it's a great time to spread malicious gossip, manipulate other members, lie and pretty much make our lives as organizers miserable. Do they think we're doing this for money? Fame? No, we do this because we want to. We want a fun place for our families to get to know other families. To create our own village for raising our kids. It takes blood, sweat and tears to run something like this.

To those moms (both in my group and not in my group) who thrive on their drama-filled bullshit, I say...Get out. If you don't like the group and think we're a pack of backstabbing bitches, then leave. Start your own group and run it the way you want. Just watch your own back for the time that some of your members turn on you for no reason except their own sadistic enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment