Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I started this blog, finally, after reading some friends' (and strangers') funny musings. Here I am, ready to write, and I keep getting interrupted: "I want something, mommy!" "I pooped again, mommy!" "Mommy, Lauren fell down." I remember when I was in college, and the only interruptions to my writing and research were my own..."Hmm, I should totally write this paper, but look at what's on TV." "Look who's playing at the bar down the street." "Look at this pretty shiny object on the floor!"

It comes with the mommyhood territory, but is still incredibly frustrating. Save my writing for later when the kids are asleep? Yeah, but that's my time with the husband and for reading and for relaxing with a movie and cup of tea (okay, glass of wine. Or three). It'll happen when it happens, I suppose, but after 3 years of children, I still haven't gotten used to it.

At my core I'm a solitary person. Mat's the only one I really like being around for long periods of time, yet we're apart for most of the day. Having little people, who are completely dependent on me, is a new challenge that I work at every second of every hour of every day. I'm not proficient yet.

I'm taking time for myself these days. Since December, when I joined Weight Watchers, I've lost 29lbs (slow, I know. I've stalled for the last month and a half due to laziness). I work out nearly everyday now, a rotating schedule of workout DVDs that involve pilates, cardio/strength intervals, dance cardio (Zumba and Jazzercise, mainly), kickboxing and yoga. I eat my fruits and veggies and limit the junk. I feel amazing, more energetic, fit and healthy than I ever remember feeling. It calms my nerves and lets me handle the kids with a little more ease. Yet something's missing.

I miss school. I'd planned for years to return for my Master's in something...anything...possibly Public Health or Counseling. Yet it hasn't happened. I already have a shitload of student loan debt, and don't want to take on even more. But my brain-it slowly rots away in my head as more time goes by and I use it for things like: breaking up toddler fights, thinking of funny little rhymes and songs for little people to enjoy, sitting in the kiddie pool, watching Leap Frog DVDs incessantly and not getting enough sleep.

This is for me, and I need the time to devote to it. I also need to: read more books that I enjoy, read the world news to be informed, follow the Obama administration's clean-up of W's fuck-ups, talk to my husband, visit with my friends and walk the dog.

For now, I'll let the little ones eat some Cheetos so I can have just a few more minutes to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment