Friday, July 17, 2009

Where's My Magical Weightloss Pill?

Today is weigh-in day for me. I do it first thing in the morning, and back when I started Weight Watchers, it was always an exciting time. The first 20 pounds really fell off, and it didn't take that much effort. I weighed more, so I had more points to eat per day (for those unfamiliar with WW, you attribute "points" to food, based on calories/fat/fiber content). As my weight dropped, I lost points, and that makes the program harder. Still, I was successful to the 28lb point, when I stalled.

I started on December 14th, so I'm 7 months into this thing. At 28lbs, I stopped seeing losses. Then, I gained one, lost it, gained it, lost it, etc. I finally dropped one more last week, so here I sit at 29lbs gone. Don't get me wrong-I feel amazing. I have so much more energy and patience. I've lost 2 clothing sizes (3 sizes in some brands), I'm so much more fit now that I workout 5-6 days a week. I'm stronger, more flexible and I know I look better. But, I'm still fat.

I hear about this new concept of your "happy weight" (sadly, it's not your weight when eating lots and lots of Happy Meals), the weight that you maintain when you're exercising regularly, eating a mostly healthy diet, and still enjoying your favorite treats. I like the thought, and I'm not obsessed with getting to a specific, very low weight. However, I seriously doubt that my current weight is a "happy" one. My BMI is still unhealthy, and I'm much bigger than I'm comfortable with.

It's a frustrating process, one that's teaching me to be patient, kind to myself, and not get so discouraged that I give up. I mean, I'm still almost 30lbs lighter than I was in December, and if I hadn't started this process, I'd be heading to 300lbs by now. I know slower weight loss is better, and going to quickly pretty much guarantees you'll gain it back again.

I did have a possible revelation in the shower, though...I use hair conditioner to shave, and it's a "thickening" product. Eureeka! That's it! My shaving product is thickening my legs and armpits, thereby causing weight gain. I'll switch to "smooth and sleek" and end up toned and hot by Christmas. Yep, that's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment