Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review: Goodnight Nobody

By: Jennifer Weiner



I'll admit upfront that I adore this author, and love every single thing she writes. If she took on the job of writing catalogue descriptions, I'd buy every item. This book is a little different from her others, and she says in the "Ask The Author" section that it's far less autobiographical than what she usually writes.

The main character, Kate, is a reluctant stay-at-home-mom in an upper class, cookie-cutter suburban neighborhood. Formerly a reporter in NYC, she decides to investigate the murder of another mom in the neighborhood who she barely knew.

I can't tell you how I identified with this character. She feels lost, out of touch and bored being with her kids. Of course, that leads to endless guilt and feelings of inferiority when she's around all the other "perfect" moms who feed their kids healthy, organic snacks and provide them with constant mental stimulation. Nobody else seems to feel like she does, and her husband often treats her like she's less than a person. Oh, and tells her to join a gym (yeah, I know).

This is a great fast read, something that I devoured in just a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment